Clashes, Shutdown in Pulwama over Civilian Killing

Army man injured in Shopian firing
Clashes continued in many parts of Pulwama district amid complete shutdown on Wednesday, a day after the death of two militants in an encounter and a civilian in BSF firing.
Shutdown was observed throughout the south Kashmir district in response to a call given by Hurriyat (G) chairman, Syed Ali Geelani.

Clashes, shutdown in Pulwama over civilian killingOn Tuesday, clashes erupted in Ratnipora and adjoining villages while an encounter was going on between militants and government forces. The 18-hour-long gun battle ended with the killing of two LeT militants, triggering protests and clashes in the area.

Violent protests spilled over to other parts of Pulwama including Malangpora village, where agitated youth clashed with a BSF contingent. The group of youth was fired upon by the border guards injuring one youth critically who later succumbed to injuries at SMHS hospital in Srinagar.
BSF, however, maintained that their Road Opening Party (ROP) came under fire from the mob and they only fired in “self defence”.

Clashes continued across Pulwama district till late Tuesday evening while thousands attended the funeral prayers of two slain militants.

After the slain civilian Bilal Ahmad Bhat was laid to rest, hundreds of people who had assembled for the funeral raised pro-freedom and anti-India slogans. The mourners clashed with the police and CRPF deployed across the village.

Reports said the mourners attacked a nearby CRPF camp with stones. CRPF in retaliation used tear smoke shells and aerial firing to quell protests.

In Newa area another CRPF camp came under heavy stone pelting by angry youth. However, there were no reports of injuries to anyone.

Meanwhile, in Waterpora village of Imam-Sahib area, an Army vehicle came under fire from militants Wednesday afternoon, injuring one Army man.

“Army personnel were moving towards Thairun village, which was cordoned off following inputs of militant presence, when militants attacked,” the police official said
He said that the militants fired volley of bullets at the vehicle injuring one Army man. An Army spokesperson in Srinagar confirmed the incident adding that the trooper was immediately shifted for treatment at an Army hospital.

Following the firing, the area has been cordoned off and searches are being conducted. Searches were going on till last reports came in.

Related posts