15 schools in Bengaluru receive bomb threat emails; Students evacuated
The city police suspect that the emails are a hoax, however they are conducting a probe to rule out all possibilities.
As many as 15 schools in Karnataka capital Bengaluru have received bomb threat emails on Friday morning, leading to a panic situation amongst authorities, who are leading searches in the premises of these schools to uncover evidence.
The city police suspect that the emails are a hoax, however they are conducting a probe to rule out all possibilities, news agency PTI reported.
Karnataka Home Minister Dr G Parameshwara spoke to media on the situation and said, “At present, we have received information about 15 schools where threatening e-mails have been received, last year also such threats were received. We cannot take any risk, we are inspecting the schools and are taking all precautionary measures in schools. We will take strict action against those who are making threatening calls. We are looking into all aspects.”
Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister D K Shivakumar even visited a school in Bengaluru after it received a threatening e-mail. “I was watching TV, the school opposite to my house also got a threat mail. I came here to check. Till now it seems like a threat call. But we have to be very cautious about it,” he said.
Authorities including the bomb squad department are combing through every nook and corner of these schools to spot and retrieve any possible suspicious items. Cops have also evacuated students and staff from the schools as a precautionary measure, according to another report.
Several schools in the tech hub have received similar calls and messages last year as well, with the city’s National Public School receiving a bomb threat in January this year. Further probe is underway and more details are awaited.