Kashmir seethes over civilian killings; Army kills lecturer in Khrew, death toll 67

  • Army kills lecturer in Khrew, death toll 67
  • Govt enforces curfew to foil UN March
  • 118 injured in fresh clashes; Beerwah youth still critical
  • Night curfew imposed across Valley
  • Mobile, Internet Services remain suspended
  • Valley completes 40 days of Curfew, Shutdown, Protests
  • Kishtwar shuts against civilian killings in Kashmir

Kashmir seethes over civilian killings; Army kills lecturer in Khrew, death toll 67On late Wednesday night army barged into the residential area of Shar village of Khrew, Pampore beating and looting the local residents of the area. Locals told Kashmir Post that Army arrested 28 people from the area after they were ruthlessly beaten.
They said on early Thursday morning Army brought back the dead body of Shabir Ahmed. He was one among the arrested 28 people. Shabir’s brother has also been critically injured by the army. He is in a critical state at SMHS hospital, Srinagar. Shabir Ahmed was a lecturer by profession.
Many more are said to be missing in area. All the arrested people have not been released as of yet, locals allege. Locals also allege that scores of women have also been harassed and beaten by the army during the dreadful night of 17 August.

Kashmir remained tense over civilian killings while forces enforced tough curfew on Wednesday to foil the “UN March” called by the separatist leaders against the unabated civilian killings in the valley.
The authorities have imposed night curfew in Valley including Srinagar while at least 118 people were injured in fresh clashes in Valley, where curfew and shutdown remained in force for 40th consecutive day today.
Authorities enforced tough curfew in Srinagar and other districts of the Valley today. Thousands of police and paramilitary personnel were deployed on the roads to enforce the curfew. The cops had placed barricades and concertina wires on the roads to prevent people from taking to roads and marching towards UN march.
All the roads leading to UN office at Sonawar were sealed.
People at many places in Srinagar attempted to march towards UN office. However, they were intercepted by the police and paramilitary personnel. The cops resorted to heavy baton charge and fired tear smoke shells to disperse the processionists.
Scores of people sustained injuries in the police action.
People staged a sit-in at Batamaloo and Nawa Kadal in Srinagar after they were not allowed to proceed towards the UN office at Sonawar. The protesters were holding banners and placards, reading: “Freedom only solution, nothing less than Azadi acceptable and chanting pro-freedom and anti-India slogans.
Police also detained chairmen of both factions of Hurriyat Conference Syed Ali Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq after they attempted to defy house arrest restrictions and march towards UN office.
Geelani was detained outside his Hyderpora residence and lodged in Police Station Humhama. Police also detained Mirwaiz outside his Nageen residence and lodged him in Police Station Nageen.
The separatist leaders had called for 72-hour march to UN office to impress upon the global body to intervene and resolve the Kashmir issue.
In downtown and uptown city including Natipora, Humhama, Chatabal, clashes continued throughout the day between cops and youth. The youth pelted stones on the police and CRPF men, who fired tear smoke shells and pellets to disperse them. Many youth sustained injuries in the police action.
The residents of Mahrajgunj area in downtown accused CRPF men of causing massive damage to vehicles parked on roads.
People alleged that CRPF men went berserk in Mahrajgunj, Wazapora and Saraf Kadal areas and damaged several vehicles.
They said the incident took place even though no stone pelting or protests were going on in the area.
Kashmir has been on boil after killing of Hizb commander Burhan Wani on July 8. At least 66 people have been killed and thousands others injured in the clashes between security personnel and youth in the Valley in last 40 days.
People in Bandipora observed Chehlum of slain Hizbul commander Burhan Wani.
People from villages of Kaloosa, Watpora, Sheikh Mohalla, Onagam, Papchan, Pazalpora and Nowpora, came out on streets and roads and held special prayers for Wani, who died in a gunfight with forces on July 8 in South Kashmir’s Kokernag area. A number of Women also participated in the chehlum.
It followed with protests amid pro-freedom and anti-India slogans. The protestors clashed with police and CRPF men, who fired tear smoke shells and resorted to heavy baton charge. Many people sustained injuries in the clashes.
After militants attacked Kakapora police station in Pulwama late Tuesday injuring five policemen, the security personnel went on rampage in Pulwama and conducted search operations.
Protests were held at many places in all four districts of south Kashmir. At many places, police and CRPF men used force and fired pellets and tear smoke shells to disperse the agitating youth, causing injuries to many of them.
Life in the Valley remained crippled for 40th consecutive day today due to curfew and restrictions imposed by authorities and shutdown called by the separatists.
Official sources said 118 persons were injured in fresh clashes across the valley on Wednesday. SMHS hospital received 10 injured youth hit by pellets.
The injured were mostly from Humhama, Kralpora, Natipora, Chattabal and some other parts of the Valley.
SMHS Hospital sources said out of the 10 fresh cases, 2 were referral cases.
Sources said Beerwah youth, who was hit by bullet in police firing in Beerwah yesterday, continues to be critical in SKIMS, Soura.
Internet and mobile services across the Valley remained suspended. While broadband services were snapped on Saturday evening, the mobile telephony was suspended late in the night on the same day.
A complete shutdown was also observed in Kishtwar against the unabated civilian killings in Kashmir. The call for shutdown was given by Imam Jamia Masjid Kishtwar Farooq Ahmed Kichloo.
Police sources said after militant attack on Army convoy in Baramulla, the authorities have decided to enforce night curfew in Srinagar and other parts of the Valley.
They said this decision was taken in a high level security meet called by the top brass of armed forces after yesterday’s militant attack.
Sources said strict night curfew will be imposed in all sensitive areas in Valley.
People have been advised not to come out of their homes during night.

Related posts