The former chief minister Ghulam Nabi Azad and Omar Abdullah have questioned the silence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s silence on the killing of civilians in Pakistani shelling.
“Yesterday, a major attack had taken place, and a message should have gone to Pakistan but I feel sorry that the PM chose to remain mute on the issue,” Azad told reporters.
He said he feels sorry that for the first time on August 15, Prime Minister talked about foreign policies. “While talking on foreign policies, the PM should have condemned Pakistan’s act from the ramparts of Red Fort”.
In a jibe at Modi, Azad said that as chairman of election panel of BJP, he had been showing a 56-inch chest to Pakistan but now had failed to show the country even his 6-inch chest.
“It is sad and unfortunate that PM failed to give reply to Pakistan from Red Fort for firing and shelling along LoC in Poonch in which five persons were killed. He will have to break his silence at some point of time. I am feeling sad for him for being mute now,” he added.
Replying to a question on whether talks and attacks can go hand-in-hand, Azad said, “Well, this is for this particular government (Modi government) to think about. While in power, whenever we (UPA) wanted to hold talks with Pakistan, BJP which was opposition then used to ridicule and criticise us saying that talks cannot be held while terror continues.
“Now, as the militancy incidents have increased manifolds, the government led by Modi is going two-steps forward and four steps backward. I think they don’t have any clear policy with regard to Pakistan”, Azad said.
Asked whether security situation had worsened after Modi government came to power, the Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha said, “There is no denying the fact. I have already raised this on the floor of the House. Ever since BJP came to power at the Centre, there has been a huge escalation in incidents along the border”.
“There has been a huge increase in ceasefire violations along the International Border and LoC in Jammu and Kashmir provinces. There has been a manifold increase. We have never seen this before,” he said.
Meanwhile, former Chief Minister and opposition National Conference working president Omar Abdullah also questioned the silence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi over ceasefire violations.
“6 including a woman & 12 yr old boy are dead sir. They’re part of your #TeamIndia. As captain of the team your silence is hurtful sir @PMOIndia,” Omar wrote on twitter.
He said he was “sorry” to see that the Prime Minister could not tweet a condolence message after people were killed in the shelling.
“So sorry to see that my PM, who remembers to tweet for every obscure birthday & National Day can’t tweet a condolence for the dead today,” he said.
In another tweet, Omar said his father and former Union Minister Farooq Abdullah was the only senior political leader to visit the areas near LoC in Poonch.
“So far my father is the only senior person to visit this area in Poonch to boost morale. High time Ministers of Center & State visit now,” he said.
Omar also lashed out at Minister of state in the Prime Minister’s Office Jitendra Singh, saying he was “heaping insult on injury”.
“Someone please get him to keep quiet. He’s heaping insult on injury now,” Omar tweeted after Singh reportedly said that “people living along borders now feel much more secure than ever before”.