Malik arrested, Mirwaiz put under house arrest; Geelani condemns act

  • Shutdown continues across Kashmir for 125th Day
  • Clashes in Narbal against arrest of youth
  • Geelani condemns arrest of Resistance Leaders
  • No untoward incident reported: Police

malik-arrested-mirwaiz-put-under-house-arrest-geelani-condemns-arrestThe life in Valley remained crippled due to separatists-sponsored shutdown for 125th day on Thursday while police arrested JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik and placed Hurriyat Conference (M) chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq under house arrest ahead of Friday’s Jamia Chalo called by the separatist leadership.
Shops, business establishments and petrol pumps remained closed in Srinagar and other parts of the Valley while public transport was off the roads. However, some private vehicles were plying.
A police official said restrictions under Section 144 remained in force to maintain law and order and foil protests.
He said police and paramilitary personnel were deployed in strength in all sensitive areas of the Valley.
It was for the 125th day that life in Valley remained crippled due to shutdown.
After killing of 21-year-old Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani on July 8, Kashmir has been witnessing unrest. At least 92 people have been killed, more than 13000 injured and over 8000 arrested in the Valley in last four months.
Meanwhile, people in Narbal area in central Kashmir’s Budgam district took to roads to protest arrest of a youth during a nocturnal raid.
Large number of people including women participated in the protest against the arrest and nocturnal raid of police. Chanting pro-freedom and anti-India slogans, the protestors demanded release of the arrested youth.
The police and CRPF men fired tear smoke shells and pepper gas shells to disperse the protestors, who pelted stones on them. The clashes continued for some time.
Meanwhile, police today arrested JKLF chief Mohammad Yasin Malik from his Maisuma residence.
A police party raided his Maisuma residence and detained him. He was later shifted to Central Jail, Srinagar.
Malik was released from after nearly four months of detention on October 29.
Police also placed Hurriyat Conference (M) chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq under house at his Nageen residenc.
A Hurriyat (M) spokesman said a posse of policemen arrived at the Nageen residence of Mirwaiz and asked him to stay indoors and not venture outside.
The detention of Malik and Mirwaiz comes a day ahead of Jamia Masjid chalo called by the separatists.
The separatists plan to hold a congregation at the historic mosque tomorrow after Friday prayers.
Jamia Masjid has been sealed since killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani on July 8 and no Friday prayers have been allowed at the historic mosque since then.

Meanwhile, chairman Hurriyat Conference (g), Syed Ali Geelani has strongly condemned the arrest of the résistance leaders Mohammad Yasin Malik, shifting him to Srinagar Central Jail and putting Mirwaiz Umar Farooq under house arrest.
Terming this as mere frustration of the ‘puppet regime’, Geelani as per spokesman has said “that those with tall claims of peace and tranquility, succumbed to the pressures and dictates of saffron regime and could not afford the release and meeting of pro-resistance leadership.”
Pertinently On Thursday JKLF chairman Muhammad Yasin Malik was arrested and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq was placed under house arrest.

Police Speaks
A police spokesman said with constant increase in private and public transport on the roads, situation remained peaceful and under control across the valley.
“During the day no untoward incident was reported from any part of the valley,” he said.
The spokesman said necessary security arrangements were put in place on some vulnerable points to prevent an untoward incident of disrupting normal life and flow of traffic.

Related posts