Friday prayers barred at Jamia Masjid for fourth straight week; Clashes erupted in Anantnag, Pulwama; Curfew like restrictions in parts of Srinagar

Mandatory Friday prayers were not allowed for the fourth successive week today at historic Jamia Masjid in downtown Srinagar, where curfew-like restrictions remained imposed for the third day as precautionary measures.

Three youth were injured on Friday after they clashes with government forces during clashes in old town area of Anantnag district in south Kashmir.
Reports said that massive clashes erupted in Reshi Bazar, Cheeni Chowk and Sherbagh areas of old town after congregational prayers.

They said that a youth was pushed down the roof of a structure outside Jamia Masjid during the clashes. However, there was no official confirmation.
Three youth injured in clashes were shifted to District Hospital Anantnag for treatment.

Clashes erupted between protesters and government forces in Chatapora locality of Pulwama district in south Kashmir after Friday prayers.
A young boy Obaid Ahmad of Chatapora locality was hit by a bullet after forces opened fire on protesters yesterday.

An eye-witness said that youth took to streets after congregational weekly prayers and staged protests against the use of force during yesterday’s clashes.
Police and paramilitary forces deployed in the area used tear smoke shells to disperse the protesters, who were throwing stones on them.
The witness said that at least five protesters were detained during the clashes.

He said that a policeman fired several rounds in air after protesters caught hold of him.

Authorities in Jammu and Kashmir imposed restrictions in parts of Srinagar city on Friday to scuttle protests after Friday prayers.
Srinagar District Magistrate Farooq Ahmad Lone said restrictions under section 144 of CrPC would remain in force in Rainawari, Khanyar, Nowhatta, M.R. Gunj, Safa Kadal, Kralkhud and Maisuma.

The police and paramilitary contingents have disallowed all vehicular and pedestrian movement in these areas.
Senior separatist leaders including Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq and Yasin Malik have been placed under detention to prevent their participation in the protests.
While Malik has been lodged in Srinagar Central Jail, Geelani and Mirwaiz continue to remain under house arrest in the city.

Shops, public transport and other businesses remained closed here while skeletal private transport plied on the roads.
Attendance in banks, post offices and government offices was also affected because of the non-availability of public transport.
The Amarnath Yatra pilgrims’ movement, however, remained unaffected.

Related posts