Govt foils resistance ‘Lal Chowk March’

Separatists placed under house arrest

govt-foils-resistance-lal-chowk-marchThe government Monday foiled the ‘Lal Chowk March’ called by separatists by imposing severe restrictions in and around the city centre in Srinagar.
Heavy deployment of police and CRPF personnel was put in place in and around the Lal Chowk area to prevent people from taking to streets to hold protest marches.
Tough restrictions were imposed in and around Ghanta Ghar, Maisuma, Amira Kadal, Regal Chowk, Budshah Chowk and its adjoining areas.
Authorities had sealed the Amira Kadal bridge with concertina wires and placed barricades on both sides to prevent people from marching toward the Ghanta Ghar.
With Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPc) already in force in Srinagar, a senior police official told Kashmir Post that restrictions were imposed in the city to prevent people from moving toward Ghanta Ghar and from holding protest demonstrations there.
“The restrictions were imposed to prevent happenings of law and order problems in the city,” he said.
The separatist leaders, spearheading the ongoing agitation in the Valley, had called for “Lal Chowk Chalo” today.
Syed Ali Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, who were to lead the ‘Lal Chowk March’ from Hyderpora and Nageen residences continued to remain under house arrest at their respective residences. Muhammad Yasin Malik was detained outside Dastageer Sahab shrine when he tried to march toward Lal Chowk.
Police also arrested Malik’s nephew Suhaib from Amira Kadal Bridge and raided various houses at Sarai Bala including the residence of slain militant commander Ashfaq Majeed Wani.
Panic gripped Batamaloo area when forces resorted to tear-smoke shelling and aerial firing to disperse stone pelting youth at Reka Chowk, Lachhmanpora and Sheikh Dawood Colony.
The clashes continued in the area for more than an hour.
Locals said people had taken to roads to protest arrest of four youth by police.
Amid complete shutdown, there was a substantial decrease in the movement of private vehicles in Srinagar in view of the ‘Lal Chowk March’ call by the separatists.
While public transport was almost off the roads, there was some movement of private transport on the streets.
Shops, fuel stations, other business establishments and schools remained closed in Srinagar and other districts of the Valley, throwing life out of gear.
The ongoing unrest, triggered by killing of 21-year-old Hizbul Mujahideen commander, Burhan Muzaffar Wani on July 8 entered 149th day on Monday.
At least 94 people have been killed, over 13,000 injured while more than 8000 detained by the forces during the past nearly five months.

Related posts