Amid curbs, Valley peaceful, Post-paid mobile net restored after 133 Days

  • No Friday prayers in Jamia Masjid for 19th week
  • 10 injured in clashes across Kashmir
  • School torched in Kupwara, another attacked at Rawalpora


The government on Friday once again disallowed the congregational prayers at historic Jamia Masjid in Srinagar while fresh clashes and protests were reported from various parts of Kashmir amid shutdown on 133rd consecutive day.
There was heavy deployment of police and paramilitary forces outside the grand masjid in Nowhatta here and all roads leading to the masjid were sealed. “We were not allowed to proceed towards Jamia Masjid for 19th straight week,” a group of residents said. They said curbs remained in place in the adjoining areas of Jamia Masjid to ensure no one proceeds towards the masjid.

Chairman Hurriyat Conference (M) Mirwaiz Umar Farooq continues to remain under house arrest at his Nigeen residence.
Reports said that clashes broke out at Rawalpora area of uptown after Friday prayers where stone pelters attacked a school by damaging its windowpanes. Clashes erupted at various places on Wanabal-Rangreth road as youth were hurling stones and bricks at the forces. The forces, according to witnesses, fired tear gas shells to disperse the protestors. Clashes were also reported from Natipora, Azad Basti, Chanpora, Parimpora and HMT.
Evening reports said that youth hurled stones at police at various places in old Srinagar that include RajouriKadal, SarafKadal, BohriKadal, Khanyar and Hawal. Forces fired tear gas shells to disperse the protestors. LalChowk and its adjoining markets saw less business due to shutdown. There was less pedestrian and vehicular movement on the roads.

Reports of clashes after Friday prayers between protesters and forces were received from Tahab village while peaceful pro-freedom rally was held in Ruhmoo village of Pulwama district. In the evening, clashes turned violent after forces fired dozens of tear gas shells at the protestors. Witnesses said that six youth sustained injuries while a tear gas shell hit a youth in his head, who was removed to SDH Pulwama.
A pro-freedom demonstration led by Muhammad Amin Ahangar Tehsil President Tehreek-i-Hurriyat was held in Sindoo-Shermal in Shopian district. Similar, pro-freedom demonstration was taken out in Tral area of Pulwama district, reports said. Violent clashes reportedly also erupted in Khudwani village of Qaimoh in Kulgam district after Friday prayers. “Forces lobbed shells to disperse the protesters who however did not relent and continued to engage them in pitched battles,” witnesses said.
Authorities on Friday allowed congregational Friday prayers in Jamia Masjid Shopian. Locals said there was no siege around the Masjid today and large number of people thronged the mosque to offer congregational Friday prayers. Jamia Masjid Shopian was sealed by authorities following the killing of Hizb militant commander BurhanWani on July 8. “The masjid remained locked for Friday prayers for 18 consecutive Fridays.”
Reports from north Kashmir’s Baramulla district said that a four-year-old kid and conductor of a truck were seriously injured after a group of youth in Palhallan area attacked scores of vehicles that were plying on highway during a pro-freedom protest demonstration. “The boy (conductor) has suffered serious eye injury and has been shifted to SMHS hospital Srinagar. His eye has almost ruptured as stone hit him directly,” said Block Medical Officer Pattan, DrManzoor. Witnesses said the four-year-old kid also suffered head injury after a stone hit a sumo vehicle at Palhallan. The child was immediately shifted to Sub district hospital Pattan for treatment. According to reports, dozens of vehicles suffered damage in the stone pelting incident in the area.
Clashes between youth and police were also reported from old town Baramulla after a group of youths took out a pro-freedom protest demonstration this afternoon. According to reports, police lobbed scores of teargas shells to quell the protesting youths. These clashes were reported on the cement bridge and continued for several hours. Reports from Sopore area of Baramulla said that a massive protest demonstration was taken after Friday prayers at JamiaQadeem. Forces, however, disrupted the protest march and fired dozens of tear gas shells triggering clashes in the area. The protest march was addressed by Tehreek-e-Hurriyat leader Abdul GaniBhat.
Reports from Bandipora district said that mild clashes erupted in Pazalpora village after Friday congregation prayers between government forces and youth. Reports said that youth clashed with forces near BRO office by hurling stones at them who responded by firing teargas and sound shells. There were no reports on any injuries. Peaceful protests were held in Naidkhai and Ajas areas of the district amid pro-freedom slogans after Friday prayers. Reports said that no clashes and protests were witnessed in main town Bandipora this Friday. Tehreeq-i-Hurriyat Tehsil president Bandipora was arrested late last night by police along with three other persons. Danish Malik was arrested by police for organizing pro-freedom rallies and “fuelling unrest” in the district.
Reports said that unknown persons torched a government school at Rigipora, Kupwara.
In Ganderbal district heavy security arrangements were made in all the major towns to thwart any protests in the area in view of the march called by the joint resistance leadership asking people to march towards district headquarters.
A mysterious fire broke out in BVSC building of SKUSAT Kashmir at Shuhama Ganderbal Thursday evening causing minor damage to the building. Reports said fire also broke out in HDFC building here, however police said that fire was caused due to electric short circuit. Reports from Central Kashmir’s Budgam district said that mild clashes were reported at Beerwah and Badran bust stop where three persons were detained. Vehicular movement on Aripanthan-Magam road was off after Friday prayers following clashes near Adina Badran.

Meanwhile, in a much-awaited relief, the state government today restored all the post-paid internet services in the Kashmir valley, after remaining suspended for 133 days due to the ongoing unrest.
“The internet services on all post-paid mobiles are being restored tonight due to the improvement in the overall situation,” K Rajendra Kumar, Director General of the J&K Police, told Kashmir Post. However, there is no decision yet on the restoration of the internet services on the pre-paid mobiles, the decision to which would be taken after further assessment of the situation, he added.
The restoration of internet services will facilitate people from all sections of the society in general and the students in particular, the officials said.
While the pre-paid mobile services were restored on October 14, the internet services continued to remain suspended to date. Only the broadband services on the BSNL landlines has been working in the Valley during the past four and a half months of unrest.

Related posts